Saturday, November 3, 2012

6 months

To Olen Ray,

My mom always said time would fly by, but I feel like it is on super speed as I watch you grow and develop. You are just as sweet as ever and learning new things everyday! 


 Here are your stats from  your 6 month appointment on September 5th:
Height: 27 inches 55%
Weight: 19 lbs 9 ozs 80%
Head Circumference: 44 1/2 cm 76%

You absolutely love to be on the floor during playtime while meeting new milestones every week. At the beginning of the month, you finally rolled over from back to belly.  I was sitting on the floor in the kitchen putting away bottles and breast pump pieces after a busy week. You were behind me on a playmat. Daddy walked in, played with you for a few minutes, then walked back out.  I had put you on your back and didn't think much about it.  Then, I heard you burp and thought "he never burps on his back."  Guess what, you rolled to your tummy to get that air out!  I was so tickled and it was great to watch you show off your new skill like ten more times that day. It seems that once you learn something, there is no going back! 

You love to pop your knees up under you and rock-rock trying to go forward.  The backwards movement is a mastered skill, but still not much progress in the forward department.  You can scoot all across the hardwood floors, spin circles, and get any toy you want off  your blanket.  I actually saw you pulling your blanket towards you the other day to get a toy from the corner.  Super smart baby boy!  Daddy put an extra board below the gate at the top of the stairs so you won't scoot down them when I leave the room for a few minutes. 

You can sit for a few minutes by yourself, but this skill was only perfected at the end of the month I must say.  Tummy time is your preference because you can move around A LOT more this way.  It's pretty cute to watch you sit and try to hold onto a toy at the same time. 

Let's talk speech.  Your sounds are the sweetest thing in the world. You definitely say "dada" and of course your dad comes running every time. I am not sure if you know that means daddy yet or not, but we are going to assume it does because it makes your dad smile from ear to ear each time you form those sounds together.  Other sounds just roll out of your mouth throughout the day to include a lot of "ah", "b", and "n".  Every now and then, I hear a "m", but not much. 

Once we started solids in Washington twice a day, there was no going back.  Your cute little mouth opens like a little bird when a spoon, finger, cup, or anything that resembles food comes near.  At the beginning of September, I started to give you more solid table foods and you started chewing them up as if to say "no problem here mom".  I have continued and you actually prefer to eat what we have over baby food.  Some of the table food you have tried: black beans, kidney beans, green beans, peas, bananas, avocados, pinto beans, zucchini bread, and spaghetti.  Right now, you eat breakfast and dinner each day.  Sometimes I give you lunch depending on how your nap schedule is for the day.  Nursing, no chance you are going to give that up anytime soon!  As your daddy has always said "he loves the boob."  

I am working two days a week now and you have a new babysitter; Ms. Patty. She lives about 5 minutes down the road and keeps a few kids in her home. It is good fit for you I think and you are adjusting slowly. Some days are great and you stick to your schedule, other days you cry a lot and act as though you have never napped in your life.  You do love her though and are always a clean smiling baby when I pick you up. Of course, there was that first day you stayed there and refused your bottle ALL DAY (you almost made me quite working altogether that week), but since then things have been fine.  You like to eat there because she sneaks you treats like kettle corn and french fries!  

ZZZ...yeah...about the sleep. Right now you nurse to sleep around 8:00 at night, dream feed at 10:00, wake to eat at 4:00, then up for the day between 7:00 and 8:00.  The napping has gotten so much better and you sleep 1-2 hours about three times a day.  Olen Ray, you just have your little fingers wrapped to tightly around my heart! It is so hard for me to be consistent and let you cry much at night. I know that is all that is needed to get you sleeping more at night. Daddy and I have been talking and we decided by the time you are seven months, the sleep is GOING to be better, at least at night. On September 20, we stopped going in to calm you and feed you in the middle of the night.  On September 22, I stopped giving you a dream feed between 10:00 and 11:00.  Stay tuned for the 7 month letter to see how you adjusted!

The dogs have become one of your favorite forms of entertainment in the evenings now.  Your dad sits in the grass to play fetch with them in the evenings. Guess where you are? Right there is his arms laughing with the greatest belly laugh and biggest smile you could ever imagine.  Apparently Bailey should be a circus dog with the way she jumps, flips, and rolls around to catch a ball.  Maybe we should see if she can be a super star at that since she isn't doing too well as a "bird dog" these days.

My love continues to grow for you every time you look at me with those big blue eyes.  Watching your daddy play with you overwhelms me with emotion and I have to fight back the tears as our little family grows closer together each week that passes.  Being YOUR mom is greater than I could have every imagined.  Keep giving us those crazy little smiles with your scrunched up nose doodle bug, keep challenging us as parents, keep showing us how to love unconditionally, and keep sharing your joyous heart with every person you meet.  

Love, Mommy (and Daddy)







No comments: